Equitable internet access is critical now more than ever, therefore Smart Columbus is working with public and private partners to ensure all Columbus residents have access to reliable and affordable digital resources.
A CONNECTED COLUMBUS
Over 80,000 households across Franklin County lack home internet, and inequities in access, affordability, and reliability only continues to grow. As the lead facilitator for the Franklin County Digital Equity Coalition, Smart Columbus is working with organizations in the government, education, healthcare, social service, and private sectors to ensure Columbus is an inclusively digital and connected city.
CLOSING THE GAP
In 2020, when the pandemic hit and people were forced to work and learn from home, the impact of the city’s digital divide had never been more evident. The Franklin County Digital Equity Coalition was created to level the digital playing field in Franklin County by:
- Ensuring under-resourced residents have access to residential internet, connected devices, and digital skills training opportunities.
- At an equitable level of quality that enables today's online experiences.
- And at an affordable price point for low-income households.
To achieve this, the DEC is prioritizing four key objectives:
Expand reliable, high-speed residential internet options in Franklin County’s low-income neighborhoods at an affordable cost for under-resourced households.
Create a sustainable stream of different types of high-quality digital devices at low to no-cost for Franklin County residents who need them.
Digital Life Skills
Expand and increase access to digital skills training that supports residents individualized needs on a continuum of survival to career.
Outreach & Adoption
Establish a multi-channel outreach approach activated by a network of partners to better provide residents with information so they can do what they want and need to do online.
FIND OUT MORE
Visit the Franklin County Digital Equity Coalition site to get more details.
Steering Committee Members
- Affordable Housing Alliance of Central Ohio
- Broadband Ohio
- Central Community House
- City Auditor's Office
- City of Columbus, Department of Technology
- Columbus City Schools
- Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority
- Columbus Metropolitan Library
- Columbus Partnership
- Columbus Rising
- Community Properties of Ohio
- Community Solutions
- Food Soldier
- Franklin County
- Franklin County Data Center
- Franklin County Jobs and Family Services
- Franklin County Office on Aging
- Goodwill Columbus
- Human Services Chamber
- I Am Boundless
- Jewish Family Services
- Mid-Ohio Food Collective
- Mid Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC)
- National Center for Urban Solutions (NCUS)
- National Church Residences
- National Digital Inclusion Alliance (NDIA)
- National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
- PCs for People
- Primary One Health
- Sage Sustainable Electronics
- Smart Columbus
- Sonida Senior Living
- The Columbus Foundation
- The Management Council of the Ohio Education Computer Network
- The Ohio State University
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- United Way of Central Ohio